Feature Requests

What features do you want to see in Screencast-O-Matic?

1. Allow sign in with Google

This is a big selling point for school districts which are using multiple products and are overwhelming teachers and students with multiple credentials.

BTW - you've got some SSL/authentication issues on the uservoice app.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Vertically Mirror Webcam

I would like to point my webcam in the downward position so i can record myself writing on a notepad. When pointed downward the webcam image is upside-down when using it as a document camera. I am aware that i can solve this by using a tablet pc and annotation software but for some of my clients who don't have that and only have a webcam this sounds like it could be a good option

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Minimize Recording Toolbar

I would love to be able to minimize the recording toolbar -- sometimes on my laptop when I need to record a larger part of what's in the browser it overlaps my taskbar and I can't switch between windows because the recording toolbar is covering it.

I was thinking just a way to click on the one end and have it slide to a minimized version or being able to drag it to the right or left to better see the taskbar underneath would be great.

Thanks in advance

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. add copy/paste for selected video part

aybe this is possible right now, but I can't find it,

1) select video part
    2) use "copy to existing video", "copy to new video" options

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Enable audio while advancing frame by frame

I think it would be very beneficial to your users if we could hear the audio when editing frame by frame (using the arrow keys). It would make it much easier for us to time our overlays with the text, do cut-outs, etc. As an added bonus, let us see the waveform so we can see where the audio stops and starts, stops and starts, etc.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Retina Display Support

Can you please make this program have retina support for Apple computers with retina screens.

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Show password protected status of video on SOM website

It would be nice to be able to instantly see when opening a video file as well as whren reviewing videos on the SOM site - the password protected status of the file(s). Right now one needs to click on the pencil to get that info. How about a closed padlock overlay etc?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Show keystrokes

I would love it to show the keys I am typing in the lower right corner. When I show shortcuts in my webcasts, it often involves clicking ALT, TAB, or other 'invisible' keystrokes. I would like to show the view that those keys were being pressed.

98 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    16 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Android tablets

Enable the product to work in android OS. So that I can use it on my tablet, and Phone.

65 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow batch imports and uploads

I'm using SOM to build teaching videos for my college class. I like to work on them on and off, then once they're polished and ready, upload them. Unfortunately, if I need to open an entire chapter's videos, I have to open one at a time, often with long click-delays as the SOM program waits for my USB hard drive. Then I have to upload them one at a time as well. That adds about 2 hours to the process every time I open a new chapter with my class. It would be helpful if I can select multiple *.SOM…

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Position lock

I love Screencast-o-Matic but am having real trouble recording videos as I sometimes catch the edge of the box or the centre label when recording is paused with the mouse pointer. This means that I have to go back and restart at a convenient point to avoid a sudden jump in the video.

I would like an option to lock the frame in its location on the screen so it cannot be moved.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Create an LTI app so educators can use SOM within their Learning Management System

Many online tools are providing LTI applications that make it easy for universities to add that tool to the campus-supported LMS (Moodle, Blackboard, Sakai, Canvas, etc). This could make it easier for educators and students to record screencasts with SOM without having to leave the LMS. There currently isn't a screencasting tool with LTI integration and is a great opp for you in the education market. Here is a list of the current LTI apps: https://lti-examples.heroku.com/index.html

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Trial

I recently found out about this software and it's rather nice. I would consider the option of upgrading to pro, however I'm not sure if all the features are what I need for the recording I wish to do. I, as many others would love to be able to have a chance to use a few days trial of the pro version. There are features that I know the pro version has, but I would love to test them out before I spend money on it. While I know this provides an issue of how you could keep track of…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Kelsie, We don’t currently have a way to trial the individual Pro account, but if you purchase and aren’t satisfied for any reason we’ll happily refund.

14. Clickable links?

I'd like to be able to embed a link out to another resource during my video. I'm still getting up to speed with SOM, so maybe there is a way to do this and I just haven't found it yet?

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. let us insert in multiple choice quizzes in order for viewers to continue, to make sure they are paying attention.

In online courses, many of the videos pause in order to have the viewers interact with the material in some way, such as mini-quizzes.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. 8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Eraser

Plz give us a tool that we can erase certain items/words/ etc. If we had that a lot of my cpa/acct type of clients would use the service.

Thank you

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Reset view counter

I haven't found a way to reset the view counter to zero for my screencasts. I teach a class that views the screencast, and after the semester is over I'd like to reset the view counter to zero for the next class. How can I do this?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Make transition points more easily identifiable

Currently it pulls up a list of places where you can insert transitions. I had 24 sections in the file and had a difficult time telling what was where. If each section could be identified by the first part of the script text that would be very helpful

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

To add a transition at a particular Script section you should see to the start of the section using the seek icons next to the script text.

If you do this first and then click the Transition tool it will add the transition at that point instead of showing you the list of all possible transition points.

20. Have an option to increase the size of the cursor

I'd rather have a larger cursor to make it more visible rather than the halo ring. I know you can turn the halo off, but that leaves you with a normal size cursor.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base